Position – Electrical Control Systems Engineer
Reporting to Principle Engineer
Responsible for N/A
Purpose / Role
The primary role will be to participate in the design, development, management, commissioning, testing and support of electrical, electronic and control systems for SMD’s range of existing and future products.
Key Aims and Objectives
Participate in the development of existing SMD control system
designs with the aim of reducing complexity and cost, improving maintainability and increasing performance with a view to maintaining market lead.
Prime Role and Duties
- Involvement in all aspects of projects through system specification, electrical and software design detail, build, test, commissioning, documentation, customer acceptance and field support
- To provide expertise in the area of control system design, implementation, and systems integration PLC and SCADA ProgrammingElectrical panel wiring design and layout design
- Electrical power distribution system design
- Create Bills of Materials
- Risk Assessment and Electrical Safety design
- FMEA analysis
- Creation of Functional Design Specifications
- Liaise with Mechanical/Hydraulics Engineers to ensure correct interfacing between different aspects of machines.
Allied Occasional Duties
- Research and development activities
- Working away/abroad/offshore
- Provide support for existing systems
Key Internal Interfaces
Project Managers, Fellow Engineers, Production, Commissioning, Customer Support, Sales, Procurement
- Broad design experience (10 yrs min) of industrial control, electronic and electrical systems required.
- Strong working knowledge of PLC-based control systems required.
- Proficient PLC and SCADA programming skills essential.
- Expertise in Rockwell ControlLogix PLC.
- Expertise in Wonderware Intouch.
- Knowledge of PC-based control systems using QNX useful.
- Experience of Networking (Ethernet, MODBUS, RS232, RS485).
- Experience of subsea engineering design useful.
- Experience of 4.16kV systems useful.
- Basic AUTO CAD and INVENTOR skills useful.
- Minimum 2nd class degree qualification in a relevant subject preferred.
- Practical experience/background essential.
- Must have an enthusiasm for engineering.
- Must be flexible and be able to work effectively either alone or in a team.
- Must be personable, energetic and adaptable.
- Must be able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.