JPI OCEANS | 1 Aug 2017
On August 1, 2017, several JPI Oceans member countries launched a joint call for preproposals to study the environmental impacts and risks associated with seabed mining.
- Belgian Federal Science Policy Office (BELSPO) and Flanders EWI Department, Belgium
- The Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF), Germany
- Research Council of Norway (RCN), Norway
- The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), The Netherlands
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), Portugal
- International Seabed Authority (Jamaica Headquarters)
Applicants are invited to contact their national funding partners for more information.
Focus of the Call
- the fate and impact of the particle plume generated during mining operations,
- the definition of appropriate indicators of ecosystem health and threshold values for “harmful effects” on the environment as well as
- measures to mitigate significant adverse effects,
- an assessment of associated environmental risks, and
- implementation of scientific knowledge and respective uncertainties into improved legislation, including analyses that address the science-policy interface.